Friday, June 24, 2016

Kingkiller Chronicles Review Post

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss 


What I drank prior to the review:

  • Two Summer Shandies at a work happy hour
  • Three glasses of Old Moon Zinfandel
  • Two shots of vodka (Blame Virginia, it's her fault) 


Okay guys, for real, I'm drunk now. Didn't think I was, but I most definitely am. Still watching Pokemon. Still my fave drunk show. Now time for the review. However, Ginny is over ----> there writing her own review so I'm not alone this time =).

Spoiler-free Book Overview: Kvothe, the main charachter, is a legend. He's one of the most sung about people. There are stories and legends and crazy shit written about him. Guys, how do you say that name? I think it's Kah-Vothe. But some others say Quothe. I DON'T KNOW! Either way, because of this, he's chosen to hide from the world as a lonely inkeeper named Kote with his apprentice, Bast. In comes this dude named The Chronicler. He figured out who Kote was and asked to take down the real story. Kote's all like, "fine, whatever, s'gonna take 3 days." Each book is a day. Oh, and there are these weird demon things that are coming after the small town. PLOT TWIST!

So, the first book goes through his early days in the circus, well, they're more like travelling showpeople. So yes, they're circus people. His family is brutally killed by this dude named the Chandrian. So he ends up a beggar, obsessed with killing this Chandrian dude. And finally makes his way to The University. Basically this book is this legendary dude's life from his perspective.

Spoiler-free Review: 
Holy cow this book is my new favorite obsession. This is such a well written friggin story. Each word matters. Each paragraph matters. There are some epic fantasies that you can "skim" over the boring parts. In this story there are NO boring parts. The words are just so captivating that it doesn't relaly matter that it's in between super exciting parts because Mr. Rothfuss just engrosses you into it.

Plot: From the very beginning you want to know (I will travel across the land, searching far and wiiiide - new episode started and I love the theme song) everything about his story. The plot moves quickly and with no sections that don't advance the plot in any way. IT'S SO GOOD. READ IT. The magic system is exceptional. It's based on links between objects. So if you break a stick in half and then sympathetically link them, then you can lift both by lifting only one half. The more similar an object is the easier the link. If things are different, it feels like double or even triple the weight it should. Relaly cool. Also, the "naming" aspect. If you know something's true name you have power over it. Sorta like Eragon by Chris Paolini if that makes any sense. But basically that's what Kvothe is after.

Characters: Woah, guys, seriously, they are all exceptional. Even the supporting characters are so well developed that you want to know more about them. Abenthy is the first you adore. Then you get to Denna, Ambrose, Sim, Wil, Denna, Elodin, and Auri. AURI. She's such a weird friggin character. Legitimately one of the only 100% unique character I've ever read. She's so odd but oddly pleasing as well. YOu know what I mean? Like, that one friend that says weird shit but it makes you smile? They are so well developed. You love them all. The only character I don't really care about is that guy that's been there 30 years, but that's only because I care about the rest of them more. Not because he's not awesome.

Writing Style: Like I said before, there isn't a word that doesn't matter in this series. And they way he goes back and forth between thrid and first person is exceptional. YOu're never confused by which Kvothe you're talking to, and both points of view are exceptionally well written.

Spoiler Review: For the record, the spoiler section is for both Name of the Wind AND Wise Man's Fear.


Rating: Both these books are 5/5 shots. However, the novella The Slow Regard of Silent Things is only 4.5/5 shots. Basically a 4 shots and a 5th "shooter." I loved it. I did. But I found myself day dreaming while listening to the audiobook. I will try to re-read because I feel like his words are better read than listened to. These books are like a fine wine. A book that has lots of complexity and that can last through the ages.

What to pair it with: A Sounten. For those of you who've read, you'll understand.

That's all for now folks.

Until next time, I am forever drunkenly yours,
Sam

0 comments:

Post a Comment