Monday, September 19, 2016

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

HI EVERYONE!

Firstly, we're trying really hard to make this blog look not sucky. Please offer any help/suggestions you may have... we're bad at this and my manfriend (well versed in HTML) wants $1000. Obviously ridiculous.

ANYWHO time for the book.



What I drank prior to the review: 4 heavily poured margaritas. I made the margaritas with a splash of the blueberry.

Spoiler-free Overview:
So, this book is about two people, Tarver and Lilac stuck on a deserted planet. They're tryna get home. Legit. That's it.

Okay fine... back story, Tarver is a military hero who was raised poor. Lilac is a SUPER rich girl. They meet on basically a space cruise, shit went down. And by "shit" i mean the spaceship. Literally. Torn out of hyperspace and crashed. Tarver and Lilac are stranded on this abandoned planet tryna find a way to put out a rescue signal so they can be rescued. Adventures happen.

Spoiler-free thoughts:
I quite enjoyed this book. I had my moments of suspense, trying to figure out what was going to happen next. I enjoyed trying to predict what was going to happen (though, terribly mistaken). Also, CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW PRETTY THE COVER IS??????

Plot: I think the plot was great. The mystery of it is what kept me going. A+

Characters: Alright. So the characters were a little flat for me. I think this is personal to me though. Like, there's no way that someone's personality changes in the course of a couple hours. Right? Tarver kept being like "that's my Lilac" BUT SHE WASN'T. She was still the same person as a couple hours before. Sure, a spaceship crash is going to change people, but in one of two ways. One, through PTSD. If it were PTSD, there's no way she could have done the things she did. Two, strength to move forward. That one requires (in my opinion) several years experience to automatically default to. Like Tarver. He'd sorta been through this before. So I can totally understand the strength bit.

Their interactions were pretty funny and adorable at times. I'll give them that.

Writing Style: I really enjyoed the writing style. They had these bits where Tarver is talking to an interoggator post-event that helped move the plot's mystery along. Well done.

Spoiler thoughts:



Rating: 3.5/5 Shots. Like, you WANT the fourth one, but you know that if you do, you'll vomit. Kinda how I feel about the relationship discussed inthe spoilery section.

What to pair it with: one of those drinsk that has an umbrella that you're embarrassed that you love. because i LOVED this and no one can tell me i'm wrong

Until next time i remain drunkenly yours,
Sam

0 comments:

Post a Comment