Sunday, January 1, 2017

Sam's Reading Year 2016

ALRIGHTY GUYS!!! Its time for my 2016 wrap-up....

WHAT I DRANK PRIOR: TWO BOTTLES OF WINE AND TWO 16OZ BEERS... get. off. me.

So this year was a thing. We had so many wonderful people pass on to the next life, and we lost the election to satan-spawn. So there were ups.... but more downs...

Lemmie just get to it?

THINGS THAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR:
1.  We started this blog HEYOOOOOOOO
2.  Ginny and I went to our first BookCon =) =) =)
3.  We got a second illustrated HP book... which was awesome
4.  I fucking finished the Wheel of Time series....
5.  On THAT note, it was a GREAT high-fantasy year....

As of todxay 28 Dec 16 I've read 75 books and over 40,000 pages... by FAR my best year.... Here are my top 10 and bottom 5...

BOTTOM 5:
5. Uprooted by Naomi Novik - I'M SORRY DON'T HATE ME
4. Ruin and Rising (AKA The Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh Bardugo - sorry, i have issues with this series. please comment if you want more detail as to why
3. Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly - I mean it was... fine. just fine...
2. The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson - See REVIEW HERE
1. There Once Were Stars by Melanie McFarlane - See REVIEW HERE

TOP 10!!!!!!!!
10. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
       YOOOOO I loved this book. THe writing style was beautiful, and like, I just adored it. You can see my review HERE and Parker's less enthusiastic review HERE
9.   Morning Star by Pierce Brown
      I mean.... Just. I can't. Like. The finale of one of the best series ever written. We also met him this year... and he's my bae and that's that. There were moments i had to put this book down becaus it was just soooooo . i mean. I CANT EXPLAIN IT. so good. just read it.
8.   A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
      LOOK. This series is great. Magic and alternate realities? How often have you read a book where the MC is from one reality and there's another reality LIKE YOUR OWN but the MC isn't from that one? HUH? NO ONE???? I thought so. Just a wondergul story.
7.   Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
     SEE REVIEWS HERE
6.   THe Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
      Please read them? See our reviews HERE and HERE
5.   A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess
     YOOOO See review HERE. Just. Loved it. read it please.
4.   Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
     Just... cant. This was the fantasy book i've been waiting for.... see review HERE

3.   Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks
     I know we haven't written about this yet, but like, YOU GUYS, ihaven't cared so much about characters since Harry Potter and that's not even a joke. So. Incredibly. GOod.










2.   ANYTHING COSMERE by Brandon Sanderson
      This year I read the rest of the Cosmere except one. Including The Stormlight Archive, Mistborn, Mistborn: Alloy Era, Warbreaker, and the Arcanum Unbounded novella set. The only thing i'm missing is Elantris. Seriously, so good. If you like superhero universes, pelase read Cosmere? Anything. And start anywhere, it relaly doesnt matter where.





1.   Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
 You guys if you're white and haven't read this... do it. If you're any color really, read it. Thi book is beautiful in its portrayal of african diaspora throughout time throughout the world. Like, I know that we're "taught" the suffrage of african americans in history class but we're really not. i really didn't understand until this book. and since then it's made me look at the world differently and i am so appreciative of that. if you take one recommendation from me ever in your lifetime, please make it this book.

Thank you all for reading and staying with us this year. I promise we've got more coming... We'll see you at BookCon and in the blog. We'll take your recommendations and consider your thoughts.

Comment down below on your faves of this year or if anything changed your view of the world. We'd love to hear it...

Until then, I remain forever drunkenly yours,
Sam

0 comments:

Post a Comment