Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!

What I drank prior:
It's kickball playoffs. Yes I wrote three posts while I was on the train home. No you're not allowed to judge me for it.

Spoiler-free Overview:
Basically this curmudgeon wants to die cause his wife died 6 months ago. He is an old man set in his ways, taking his walks every morning making sure that no one stays in the 24 hour parking more than 24 hours, checking the signs are straight, etc. He's also obsessed with Saab (like my daddy). But this new coupe moves into town with their two annoying ass kids but HEY Ove just wants to join his wife.

Spoiler-free Thoughts:
Look. I didn't get why everyone loved this book until I read it. The minimalist style is one of the most unique things I've ever read but I adored it. Also. Mama read it for book club because she was gonna be in town for our meeting and she loved it too.

Characters:
How do I even? Okay so Ove was the best cranky old guy anyone could ever ask for. The family was awesome. It's just. I just loved it.

Plot:
So this was the best part. There were moments where he didn't explixently say what happened but the author allowed you to determine what happened on your own terms. I felt so gratified it that the author trusted me enough to fill in the blanks. Just hank you.
RaLly everyone should give this boo a chance. Even if you're not in to contemporary. It's just wonderful.

What to pair it with: vodka. The best kind.

Rating: 5/5 Shots.


COMMENT DOWN BELOW: Are you a fan of the minimalist style of writing? What are your favorite kinds?

Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
Sam

PS. Also, if you haven't signed up for #Booziebookathon 2017 on July 22, see our announcement post here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment